Thursday 2 June 2011

The biology in my fruit salad

Today I was making a fruit salad and as I began to cut up my pineapple, I thought about the 3 types of different fleshy fruits. I remembered learning that pineapples are called a 'multiple' fruit because one pineapple is made up of many ovaries of many flowers. To us, pineapple is just a tasty fruit but they are actually important in the life cycle of a plant. They derive from the mature ovary and aid in seed dispersal as well as protecting the seed.

Pineapples are from a specific family of monocot angiosperms called Bromeliaceae that are known to be able to store water in their tightly overlapping leaves (In the case the crown/shoot apex). I checked the leaves of the pineapple which were infact parallel, and I found out that they have fibrious roots as apose to a taproot so I knew it was a monocot.

No comments:

Post a Comment